This blog was inspired by my friend Lorn who just got into a bicycle accident. As he put it; his tire got stuck in the streetcar tacks, the bike stopped, he did not. Now he is in the hospital with a badly sprained ankle and maybe a tibia fracture. Since I've had my share of badly sprained ankles from horse riding accidents I thought I would share a great way to treat them. Someone who competed in Karate competitions told me the best way to treat such injuries as it was taught to him.
1) Grab some eggs from the fridge, they must have been in the fridge for a while so they are cold.
2) Find a natural cotton (or any natural material) that you can use to wrap around your injury. A cotton cloth hand towel size will do for ankles.
3) Break the eggs and only put the egg whites on the cloth you are going to use.
4) Fold the cotton so there is 1 or 2 layers (depending on thickness) between the egg whites and your skin.
5) Put it on your injury. For my ankle I use to put a tenser bandage on the outside to help keep it in place.
This is much better then using ice as ice can damage the skin and is often too cold. With the eggs whites you can keep it on all night long and not have to worry about damage or melting. The egg whites keeps cold a lot longer then ice as well. There is some natural healing properties in the egg whites that help with busing and swelling. I know this works as the first time I used this method to take care of a sprained ankle. Where I had the bandage the swelling had gone down and so did the bruising compare to outside of the bandaged area.
Here are some photos of one of the times I got a sprained ankle. I did have a pictures of me hitting the ground as well but not sure where that one went.